North Korea could soon begin transferring remains of American troops: reports

North Korea is expected to begin the process of handing over the remains of U.S. troops, missing from the Korean War.

By
ads

North Korea is expected to begin the process of handing over the remains of U.S. troops, missing from the Korean War within the next few days two U.S. officials said on Tuesday.

The officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity said North Korea would hand over the remains to the United Nations Command in South Korea, and then they would be transferred to Hickam Air Force Base in Hawaii.

One of the officials said a “sizable number” of remains were expected to be handed over, but declined to give a specific number considering the unpredictable nature of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

It could take months or years before the remains are positively identified the officials added.

The development is the result of the historic summit between President Donald Trump and Kim last week in Singapore.

Trump in a news conference after the summit said North Korea agreed to return the remains of the U.S. soldiers.

“(The families) want the remains of their fathers, and mothers, and all of the people that got caught into that really brutal war,” Trump said.

Some 7,700 U.S. military personnel remain unaccounted from the 1950-1953 Korean War, U.S. military data shows. Pentagon also reported that North Korean officials have indicated in the past that they have the remains of about 200 U.S. troops, in a war that claimed the lives of more than 36,500 U.S. troops.

 

Advertisement

ads
ads

You may also like

Hot News