A senior U.S. defense official has said the United States will soon present a timeline to North Korea with “specific asks” of Pyongyang after the historic summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
The official who gave the report while speaking to a small group of reporters ahead of a planned trip to Asia by Defense Secretary Jim Mattis this week did not specify details but suggested that the timeline would be rapid enough to make clear Pyongyang’s level of commitment.
“We’ll know pretty soon if they’re going to operate in good faith or not,” the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
“There will be specific asks and there will be a specific timeline when we present the North Koreans with our concept of what implementation of the summit agreement looks like.”
However, some national security analysts have criticized President Trump’s agreement with Kim after the June 12 summit because it contained only few details on how Pyongyang would surrender its nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.
Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo also said last week that he would likely travel back to North Korea “before too terrible long” to try and North Korea to keep up with the summit commitments.